Forum Index
 photo nwbnner.png

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Eyes Of The World
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ads

Posted: Sat Jul 12, 2014 5:45 am    Post subject: Ads

clementinescaboose
Published Reviewer

PostPosted: Wed May 18, 2011 11:57 pm    Post subject: Eyes Of The World Reply with quote

Being my favorite Dead song, I enjoy almost any version, but I am especially partial to the '73-'74 incarnations. I just love the jazzy jam that follows most versions in these years, the one that moves in and out of the minor key and into a thematic jam that I like to think of as the 'Stronger Than Dirt-like' theme (I know many people do not hear it this way, however, and I've been told that the jams are not related). Anyways, I'm going to throw out my favorites from these years, and I'd love to hear your favorites (from any year) too:

8/6/74 - The standard by which all others should be measured (imho). Garcia's two solos during the verses are nothing short of magical, Phil's solo is perfect, and I especially love the funky, intense jam they get into following the 'Stronger Than Dirt-like' theme. I guess my only minor nitpick about this version (and it is VERY minor) is that Jer and Phil get a bit out of sync during the thematic jam. But this version is still superlative:

Only registered users can see links on this forum!
Register or Login on forum!

(also in much better quality on Dick's Picks, Vol. 31)

6/20/74 - Jerry starts off the song with some beautiful, jazzy chords and the band winds through some amazing interplay, including a gorgeous Phil solo and thematic jam. After some more great jamming, Garcia leads them into what could be considered the 1st fully realized Slipknot!, a sweet bonus:

5/17/74 - The most "perfect" version imo (besides 6/18/74), I favor this one just a bit more because I absolutely love the fantastic interplay between Garcia and Lesh during Phil's solo and the minor key passages. Great sound too:

5/26/73 - They move through the post-song jam with lightning speed and precision, the playing on this version especially jazz-fusion like. The theme jam is explored TWICE:

12/6/73 - Coming out of a great Dark Star, I really dig the intensity of this version, and Garcia is absolutely on fire:

Listenin' to the ocean roar
snow_and_rain
Uncle Bobo

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The EOTW from 12/6/73 is the unsung hero of a show with many highlights.

Special shout-out for the Eyes from YDIH - 5/18/77. Monster Garcia shreddage.

I'm geared towards doing things rather than towards thinking about them or talking about them and that's kinda like the tradition that we work in ... it's basically ... get it on. – Garcia to Mother Grumble, April 1972.
Skobud
Mirror Ashes Admin

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One of my fav's is this one that I dont see mentioned too much.....

It was left off of DP#7 and I have no idea why. Most likely cause there are chops in the whole sequence....I love it. it has a unique sound with Ned sitting in(the 2 keyboard thing), and Phil is en fuego. Give it a quick spin if you have not heard it. Its Oh, soooo nice
His Dudeness
The Dude Abides

Location: Camden, 16th hippest neighborhood for hipsters in the USA

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

8/6/74 and 5/26/73 - agree
I'll throw out a few more.
6/16/74 Eyes>Big River
10/19/74 Eyes>China Doll - classic!
6/11/76
5/14/78
11/6/79
4/17/84
3/20/91

snow_and_rain
Uncle Bobo

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What about the 18-minute Eyes debut at Roscoe Maples out of Truckin and into the first-ever China Doll!

I'm geared towards doing things rather than towards thinking about them or talking about them and that's kinda like the tradition that we work in ... it's basically ... get it on. – Garcia to Mother Grumble, April 1972.
clementinescaboose
Published Reviewer

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

His Dudeness wrote:
8/6/74 and 5/26/73 - agree
I'll throw out a few more.
6/16/74 Eyes>Big River
10/19/74 Eyes>China Doll - classic!
6/11/76
5/14/78
11/6/79
4/17/84
3/20/91

is 10/19/74 the one on the SMR boxset/movie soundtrack? if so i agree that one is definitely amazing Very Happy Very Happy

6/16/74 is great too, personally I prefer the 18ths and 20ths versions, but there was probably never a run of 'Eyes' better than these...

GracefulDuck

PostPosted: Thu May 19, 2011 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Boy, this thread is in the deep end of the pool. Where do you start?
I suppose 10-19-74 is as good a place as any. My mind is racing with so many great moments of Eyes.
His Dudeness
The Dude Abides

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2011 5:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Also should mention that 10/14/83 one. way jammed out

Skobud
Mirror Ashes Admin

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2011 6:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wanna add 3/29/90 with Branford. This is the one version my wife really likes. Its sweeet..
nickj
Moderator on the moon

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2011 7:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, this list could go on all day. I don't always love the early 73 Eyes, but by the summer they had worked out the end jam just right, but by the end of 74 it sometimes feels like they're realling caning the [CENSORED] out of that end jam in a way that can get a little tiresome at times... Fall 73 through summer 74 was the golden age, but so many of them are so good that it's hard to settle on a small handful of favorites. Outside of that period, 10/19/74 is a high water mark because of its little details, like how perfectly Garcia nails that first line or specific little licks he hits in his solos. 8/13/75 will always be a picture-perfect version in my mind. I know longer isn't better, but 6/9/76 and 11/5/79 are two behemoths that I love for the lazy, long groove they settle into. 5/13/83 is another great long one. I also really dig ones that mess with the usual tempo, eg 10/29/77 or 4/3/82(?).

Can any of the more knowledegable 80's heads recommend some more really stupendous 1980-89 versions? Not ones that would "hold their own" against 70's or 90's versions, just some of the very best of the era.
GracefulDuck

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2011 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

One that always puts a smile on my face is 4-16-78. The jam from Estimated > Eyes is fabulous! The way the Eyes intro revs up prior to the first verse has always killed me. Englishtown 77 Eyes intro is also one for the ages, but Huntington VA 1978 is really, really fine too. Be sure to listen to the whole Estimated and take the ride all the way!
Been a favorite of mine since I got the tape in the summer of '78. Cool
His Dudeness
The Dude Abides

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2011 8:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nickj wrote:
Yeah, this list could go on all day. I don't always love the early 73 Eyes, but by the summer they had worked out the end jam just right, but by the end of 74 it sometimes feels like they're realling caning the [CENSORED] out of that end jam in a way that can get a little tiresome at times... Fall 73 through summer 74 was the golden age, but so many of them are so good that it's hard to settle on a small handful of favorites. Outside of that period, 10/19/74 is a high water mark because of its little details, like how perfectly Garcia nails that first line or specific little licks he hits in his solos. 8/13/75 will always be a picture-perfect version in my mind. I know longer isn't better, but 6/9/76 and 11/5/79 are two behemoths that I love for the lazy, long groove they settle into. 5/13/83 is another great long one. I also really dig ones that mess with the usual tempo, eg 10/29/77 or 4/3/82(?).

Can any of the more knowledegable 80's heads recommend some more really stupendous 1980-89 versions? Not ones that would "hold their own" against 70's or 90's versions, just some of the very best of the era.

I had mentioned 10/14/83 and 4/17/84 - the 84 show is cool because Bobby bailed after Women, but Jerry kept jamming and brought him back.
8/30/80 PHilly
7/31/82 and 8/10/82
10/5/84 and 10/14/84 (long spacy jam after a generous Eyes)

In the relatively jamless year of 1986, they play a nicely paced, 15 minute Eyes on 3/27/86. Much of it is a cool post song Jerry led jam.
4/8/89 Cincy has a nice groove.
6/21/89 with Clarence is pretty good if I recall...

maximinus
Estimated Prophet

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2011 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry to be so unspecific, but there's a great version from 1979, maybe 25 Oct where we get treated to a wonderful Eyes > Space > Drums. I don't have a copy on my hard drive so can't check it out unfortunately Sad

snow_and_rain
Uncle Bobo

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2011 8:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I enjoy some of the funky pairings in the 80s...

Scarlet> Eyes

Stranger> Eyes

nickj
Moderator on the moon

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2011 9:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

His Dudeness wrote:
I had mentioned 10/14/83 and 4/17/84 - the 84 show is cool because Bobby bailed after Women, but Jerry kept jamming and brought him back.
8/30/80 PHilly
7/31/82 and 8/10/82
10/5/84 and 10/14/84 (long spacy jam after a generous Eyes)

In the relatively jamless year of 1986, they play a nicely paced, 15 minute Eyes on 3/27/86. Much of it is a cool post song Jerry led jam.
4/8/89 Cincy has a nice groove.
6/21/89 with Clarence is pretty good if I recall...

Nice! I knew but forgot about Hartford and those fall 84 ones, and I'm psyched to check out the 86. I love those rare, randomly long 86 jams like the Playin from one of those BCT shows. Still haven't heard all of Niagara Falls (silly, since I like the Rochester show the night before), so I've got some homework to do. Thanks!
His Dudeness
The Dude Abides

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2011 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

maximinus wrote:
Sorry to be so unspecific, but there's a great version from 1979, maybe 25 Oct where we get treated to a wonderful Eyes > Space > Drums. I don't have a copy on my hard drive so can't check it out unfortunately Sad

I think 10/31/79 has one of them there combos.

Morticia
Estimated Prophet

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2011 1:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
maximinus wrote:
Sorry to be so unspecific, but there's a great version from 1979, maybe 25 Oct where we get treated to a wonderful Eyes > Space > Drums.

I think you may be right about the date, but wrong about the order. This is one of the best 'Eyes' ever, in my opinion:

Grateful Dead Live at New Haven Coliseum on 1979-10-25 (October 25, 1979)

Set 2:
    Shakedown Street ; Passenger ; Friend Of The Devil ; Estimated Prophet > Eyes Of The World > Drums > Space > Stella Blue > Good Lovin'

Encore:
    U.S. Blues

nickj
Moderator on the moon

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2011 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

maximinus wrote:

10/25/79 does have a long Eyes>space. It's not the only one they did in 79, though: 8/12, 10/31, 11/23, and 11/29 all have an Eyes>space jam.
fillmoreeast
Playin In The Band

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2011 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll go with a raw, unpolished beauty from 73. It comes out of Dark Star>El paso and takes us into a Dew. Probably my favorite piece of music by the Dead...8/1/73 Cool
GracefulDuck

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2011 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

fillmoreeast wrote:
I'll go with a raw, unpolished beauty from 73. It comes out of Dark Star>El paso and takes us into a Dew. Probably my favorite piece of music by the Dead...8/1/73 Cool
Can't argue with that. Core. You've obviously done your time in the trenches Fillmore.
slider-wow Trilly-95-77

Gonna stick that on now.

Edit: The meltdown nuclear universe inversion after the first verse of Dark Star is almighty.......I honor those who attended that moment. holy. Thank God Garcia went to slide or it could have gone off the edge.
fillmoreeast
Playin In The Band

PostPosted: Fri May 20, 2011 11:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As you know Duck that was Garcia's 31st B-day. Down in front of the stage funny paper was being passed around by the crew compliments of Mr. Stanley. The moment you speak of the Dead truly reached The Divine. Interesting drive home thru the Holland Tunnel into Manhattan Shocked YIKES. Hope you are enjoying it brother.
dogstarz
Mirror Ashes Admin

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2011 1:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

fillmoreeast wrote:
As you know Duck that was Garcia's 31st B-day. Down in front of the stage funny paper was being passed around by the crew compliments of Mr. Stanley. The moment you speak of the Dead truly reached The Divine. Interesting drive home thru the Holland Tunnel into Manhattan Shocked YIKES. Hope you are enjoying it brother.

Fillmore you need a shirt that says "I passed 8-1-73" . This show is one of my favorites of all time. This is a Dark Star for the ages and yes, Eyes is one of a kind.

fillmoreeast
Playin In The Band

PostPosted: Sat May 21, 2011 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing Cool
clementinescaboose
Published Reviewer

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 4:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

4/2/73 (a show I recently discovered) has a killer early Eyes - the intensity of the last 4 minutes or so is outrageous! 22_yikes ahgg_eek3dance

His Dudeness
The Dude Abides

PostPosted: Mon May 23, 2011 7:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

clementinescaboose wrote:
4/2/73 (a show I recently discovered) has a killer early Eyes - the intensity of the last 4 minutes or so is outrageous! 22_yikes ahgg_eek3dance

4/2 is one of my favorites of 73. What do you think of the super jammed Here Comes Sunshine?

clementinescaboose
Published Reviewer

PostPosted: Tue May 24, 2011 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

His Dudeness wrote:

4/2 is one of my favorites of 73. What do you think of the super jammed Here Comes Sunshine?

I actually just listened to most of this show again today while doing some yard work. I definitely enjoyed this Here Comes Sunshine, it's interesting b/c the jam is more like a Space you'd find in a Dark Star or something...but I prefer the more melodic, jazzy HCSS jams, especially the ones from Nov/Dec '73.

clementinescaboose
Published Reviewer

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2011 3:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

10/19/73 (DP 19) - I really forgot just how great the post-song jamming is in this one 'til I started listening to '73 heavily again a while back...the transition leading up to Stella especially has really dynamite jazzy leads from Jerry.

10/29/73 - this is a hard-edged, fast Eyes that has just a monster jam...the Phil bombs at the end make for quite a unique transition into China Doll:

Go ahead and throw these two into my top versions

Cool

clementinescaboose
Published Reviewer

PostPosted: Fri Dec 09, 2011 3:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OH!!! how could have I forgotten 9/7/73!!! Shame on me Embarassed

This jam is THE SHIT, folks...17 minutes of the unstoppable force that is Jerry Garcia's guitar. A candidate for greatest ever (if it weren't for 8/6/74 I suppose Wink ) Sends me positively reeling every time Boo hoo! ImmO_smdh_01107374169 Trilly-95-77 rk01_tuttogiraintornoate rk01_danzacanapa slider-wow

clementinescaboose
Published Reviewer

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 12:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Skobud wrote:

It was left off of DP#7 and I have no idea why. Most likely cause there are chops in the whole sequence....I love it. it has a unique sound with Ned sitting in(the 2 keyboard thing), and Phil is en fuego. Give it a quick spin if you have not heard it. Its Oh, soooo nice

Had the pleasure of rediscovering this one recently. When I first heard it a while back, there were others from this tour I preferred, esp. 9/18 (a great all around show) but me thinks this is the Eyes that takes the cake for Euro '74!! The unique interplay with Ned Lagin is just fantastic; definitely one of the better versions out there Cool

Skobud
Mirror Ashes Admin

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 6:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Skobud wrote:

Had the pleasure of rediscovering this one recently. When I first heard it a while back, there were others from this tour I preferred, esp. 9/18 (a great all around show) but me thinks this is the Eyes that takes the cake for Euro '74!! The unique interplay with Ned Lagin is just fantastic; definitely one of the better versions out there Cool

CC - this is one of those I just love every single time I listen to it. Not just Eyes - but the whole damn thing. It has a single unit cohesiveness thing going on. Everyone seems so incredibly in tune with what each other is doing. Thanks for bringing this up again, I have about thirty inspection reports to review today and this show will accompany this mundane task beautifully. rk01_tuttogiraintornoate
nickj
Moderator on the moon

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Skobud wrote:
CC - this is one of those I just love every single time I listen to it. Not just Eyes - but the whole damn thing. It has a single unit cohesiveness thing going on. Everyone seems so incredibly in tune with what each other is doing. Thanks for bringing this up again, I have about thirty inspection reports to review today and this show will accompany this mundane task beautifully. rk01_tuttogiraintornoate

I agree. The full Phil & Ned >> Wharf Rat sequence is quite a ride. Ned's story about it is certainly a pretty subjective interpretation, but it's still a great image: everyone at the end of their ropes, fully dosed and recapturing the "good ol' days" freewheeling vibe, then Garcia laughing his ass off once the whole jam had finished and laying his pick down on Ned's keyboard. I posted the whole quote from him somewhere around here...

Skobud
Mirror Ashes Admin

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nickj wrote:
Skobud wrote:

I agree. The full Phil & Ned >> Wharf Rat sequence is quite a ride. Ned's story about it is certainly a pretty subjective interpretation, but it's still a great image: everyone at the end of their ropes, fully dosed and recapturing the "good ol' days" freewheeling vibe, then Garcia laughing his ass off once the whole jam had finished and laying his pick down on Ned's keyboard. I posted the whole quote from him somewhere around here...

Here is the Alexandria part(the Gans and Ned interview):

DG: Shall we go to Alexandra Palace?

NL: Would you like me to tell you a little bit about it?

DG: I would indeed, because you have described this to me as a peak experience, in many ways.

NL: Yes. We went to Europe – the Grateful Dead family and the band – went to Europe. And this was just after the tour that we had done – that I had done with Phil and the Grateful Dead – where there were a number of marvelous sets. Some of them just Phil and Ned sets between Grateful Dead sets, and some of them blending Grateful Dead and Phil and Ned sets. And so we got to London, and there were three nights scheduled at Alexandra Palace. And Phil and I were supposed to do our sets in the middle of the Grateful Dead sets, or coterminous with the Grateful Dead sets.

And the first night the Grateful Dead played for a very short period of time, starting late and ending early, because there wasn’t the right power equipment. And it was really a very frustrating experience for the band and the family and the promoter and the audience. And I’m not sure, again, having looked at the Compendium, the length that’s there appears to be longer than I remember. Because I remember only 45 or 50 minutes, or maybe an hour and 10 minutes at most. And my memory is usually very bad on some things, but very good on others. This is one of the things it’s a little better on.

And the second night was the same way – a little longer but, again, the frustration of poor equipment and poor coordination. And on the third day, there was a band meeting that afternoon where we promised each other a whole bunch of things. And moved our spirits, I’d like to say back in time to a little bit earlier in the 70s than where we were chronologically.

And that night turned out to be an exceedingly high night. Some of the people from Pink Floyd were there to hear what we were doing with computers and electronics, and to hear the Grateful Dead. Some people from Apple Records – the Beatle record label… and we came out and all of us just, I think, just played phenomenally.

Phil and I did an interesting “Seastones” set (which you’re not gonna hear tonight). And Phil and Bobby and eventually Billy joined us. And you’re gonna hear now when we pick up, when we go into “Eyes of the World.”

I want to add a little bit more about jazz playing and horn lines and lead lines, because Jerry, I think, was influenced by a lot of jazz and horn players. And horn players were influenced, in turn, by a lot of vocalists. So you hear a lot of declamatory lyricism in Jerry’s lines. And, as I said, I was very lucky and fortunate to have met and/or played with a lot of people who influenced me. And Jerry was one of them. And this night I was given the opportunity to actually play lead several times, including in the beginning of “Eyes of the World” on electric piano. Which was just astounding, and I’ll never forget the wide-eyed wonder of the people in the front rows as they were hearing this.

As you’ll hear, again we talked about laughter in the birthday tape; well, at the end of this long sequence which is “Eyes of the World” into electronic jam playing, and out into “Wharf Rat,” I’m left at the end – I was set up right behind Jerry and we played very closely that evening – I’m left again with the great gift of hearing Jerry – and I hope it’s audible on the tape that you’re gonna play tonight – of Jerry just laughing, not a laugh but a prolonged loud belly laugh of how happy that evening and that moment was.

I’m also left with… he handed me the guitar pick – he set it down on my electric piano – that he played that night. It’s one of the few things that I kept from that experience.

I should talk a little bit more about sequences. There were sequences that everybody felt comfortable, one tune going into another, and if you follow the Grateful Dead or the tapes of the Grateful Dead you’ve seen that. Well, very often you’ll hear, in the Winterland concerts that I played on, or Berkeley Community Theater, where we go from “Dark Star”… one of the tunes that I feel very emotionally strong about, and it comes back in a sense in that homeless shelter, a story I told you about a few minutes ago, is “Wharf Rat.” “Wharf Rat” is a very, very powerful tune to me. And so, like my birthday tape that we just played, I felt very fortunate to once again contribute to playing a beautiful “Wharf Rat.”

Also, “Eyes of the World” is another one of those tunes that I really love to play. It reminded me of my days in Greenwich Village again, listening to the first Bossa Nova Stan Getz gigs that he played with Astrid Gilberto. To somebody that may be a reach, but there was always that Bossa Nova light, rhythmic feel to “Eyes of the World,” which I really love.

So here, again, I was very fortunate to get an opportunity to play and, in some sense, lead, in “Eyes of the World,” and lead into “Wharf Rat,” and play all the way through. And I hope everybody enjoys this; I’m not sure that this has been played very widely.

DG: I played it actually on this radio show sometime in the last couple of years.

NL: Really!

DG: I know – it was right after the time some other parts of this concert were released in a Dick’s Picks record in the last couple of years, and I played a bunch of the rest of it… sort of the outtakes.

NL: Great.

DG: So, it’s nice to be able to play it again, and to have some of the background on the story. Fasten your seatbelts, kids, you’re in for a treat.

NL: Play this one loud, too, if you’re at home and listening. Play it loud.

[Eyes of the World-> jam-> Wharf Rat 9/11/74 Alexandra Palace, London]

DG: Well that’s quite a maniacal giggle you got outta Jerry at the end of that jam, Ned!

NL: There was sort of a belly laugh, I remember it pretty clearly.

DG: You all sound pretty peaked right there! (laughs) September 11, 1974 is the date; Alexandra Palace in London is the venue; third of three shows. A lot of stuff went on in that three-day run, and it all ended that night with a pretty high performance. And what you just heard was sort of the middle, the Phil and Ned thing, that sort of became an entire Grateful Dead thing with Ned. I love the way you push Jerry in the beginning of that “Eyes” jam, too, man.

NL: Thank you.
nickj
Moderator on the moon

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 12:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Skobud wrote:
Here is the Alexandria part(the Gans and Ned interview):

Nice. Gans' Conversations With the Dead book has a different interview with Ned that covers the same ground, and (I think) in that one, Ned is a little more explicit about how "high" a night they were having...

clementinescaboose
Published Reviewer

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 2:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nickj wrote:

So since I am new to a lot of this late era stuff, what are some of the best Eyes of the '90s considered to be? 3-29-90 is an obvious choice...I also like DP 17 (3-31-91?) Any others that are recommended?

snow_and_rain
Uncle Bobo

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 4:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nickj wrote:

So since I am new to a lot of this late era stuff, what are some of the best Eyes of the '90s considered to be? 3-29-90 is an obvious choice...I also like DP 17 (3-31-91?) Any others that are recommended?

I had the pleasure of seeing both 9/8/90 and 3/21/91, and though I'm often biased by personal attendance, these are both top 90s versions. On 9/8/90 Eyes kicks off a hearty Eyes> Estimated> Terrapin that really should be heard all together. Fantastic stuff given that it's the second show with Vince (no Bruce yet).

3/21/91 second set starts with Eyes> Foolish and works really well. Lots of MIDI in both of these, so beware if that's a big turnoff.

3/31/91 (as you suggested) is also nice meaty rendition, and is similar to 3/21.

clementinescaboose
Published Reviewer

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

snow_and_rain wrote:
nickj wrote:

I had the pleasure of seeing both 9/8/90 and 3/21/91, and though I'm often biased by personal attendance, these are both top 90s versions. On 9/8/90 Eyes kicks off a hearty Eyes> Estimated> Terrapin that really should be heard all together. Fantastic stuff given that it's the second show with Vince (no Bruce yet).

3/21/91 second set starts with Eyes> Foolish and works really well. Lots of MIDI in both of these, so beware if that's a big turnoff.

3/31/91 (as you suggested) is also nice meaty rendition, and is similar to 3/21.

Thanks! I have mixed feelings about the MIDI stuff. Sometimes I think it works great (i.e. 12-9-89 Bird Song), other times it just adds to what is already an overly cluttered sound that the band had in the early '90s (of course this is just IMHO!) But I will be sure to check out these versions. Cool

nickj
Moderator on the moon

PostPosted: Fri Sep 28, 2012 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

9/8/90 is absolutely a fantastic version! Vince really does some beautiful stuff in this one, and the whole thing is just wonderful.

7/8 and 9/18 are excellent 1990 Eyes as well.

Gr8ful Ed

PostPosted: Mon Dec 31, 2012 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here are some of my favorite versions of Eyes:

1) 6-10-1973 - If trippy you seek than trippy you shall find, 20 plus minutes of face theft.

2) 10-19-1974 - Love this version. Nimble turn on a dime dead.

3) 3-31-1991 - A long journey on a warm summer day. Jerry enjoying his MIDI.
clementinescaboose
Published Reviewer

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 12:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gr8ful Ed wrote:
Here are some of my favorite versions of Eyes:

1) 6-10-1973 - If trippy you seek than trippy you shall find, 20 plus minutes of face theft.

2) 10-19-1974 - Love this version. Nimble turn on a dime dead.

10-19-74 was a long time favorite ever since I first heard it on the So Many Roads box set. I know a lot of folks poo poo that album, but it was a big foot in the door for me, so to speak, so I still enjoy spinning it once in a while. Anyways, definitely one of the best and more unique pre-hiatus Eyes, and I love the way they just ride the hell out of that minor jam till you can't take it anymore (Garcia even gets in some cool bluesy sounding phrases) then come crashing in with those "stronger than dirt" type chords.

nickj
Moderator on the moon

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 6:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As sick as the jams are, what sticks in my head most about that 10/19 Eyes is the first line. I've never heard a sweeter "right outside this..." than this one. I'm sure the mix/recording has something to do with it, but still, it's absolutely perfect.

Skobud
Mirror Ashes Admin

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 7:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nickj wrote:
As sick as the jams are, what sticks in my head most about that 10/19 Eyes is the first line. I've never heard a sweeter "right outside this..." than this one. I'm sure the mix/recording has something to do with it, but still, it's absolutely perfect.

Totally agree on that, and I do think the mix has something to do with my enjoyment of the GD movie soundtrack as well. They have ambient mic's on the crowd so you get that matrix sorta sound, and I love it. I also dig the fact that this is one of the times they were totally on when they needed to be, instead of blowing it. Im gonna have to watch the movie again now.....Its probably been a year since I have so Im about due...10/19 is a hell of a show.
snow_and_rain
Uncle Bobo

PostPosted: Thu Jan 03, 2013 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gr8ful Ed wrote:

Eyes hit sort of a latter-day peak in spring 1991. The 3/20/91 Eyes > Foolish is totally captivating and not unlike the one from Greensboro.

swamiGD80s
Taper

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 7:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Face it guys, Eyes WAS AN 80s SONG!!!

p.s. "I'm rubber, you're glue; whatever you say bounces off of me and sticks to you."

clementinescaboose
Published Reviewer

PostPosted: Mon Jan 28, 2013 11:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Swami...nice to see you back!

I need to update this with a more comprehensive list of my favorites when I get a chance...I would say it has changed a bit within the last year or so.

nickj
Moderator on the moon

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 4:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

swamiGD80s wrote:

p.s. "I'm rubber, you're glue; whatever you say bounces off of me and sticks to you."

Ok... "I want to listen to every 1976 Eyes in a row. Times infinity!" Wink

Actually, swami, do you have a top 10 80's Eyes? I know you love Halloween 83, and we covered a few earlier in the thread. Any more big ones that demand serious consideration?

Zephyr
Mirror Ashes Admin

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nickj wrote:
Any more big ones [from the '80s] that demand serious consideration?

As opposed to the other 170 versions that don't...? Laughing

swamiGD80s
Taper

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nickj wrote:
swamiGD80s wrote:

Ok... "I want to listen to every 1976 Eyes in a row. Times infinity!" Wink

Actually, swami, do you have a top 10 80's Eyes? I know you love Halloween 83, and we covered a few earlier in the thread. Any more big ones that demand serious consideration?

I don't have a top 10 at this time, and I'm not sure what you mean by "serious consideration," but I will give a list here of 1 version per year that may be somewhat under-the-radar:

08-19-80 Uptown Theatre
Wheels come off the bus at the end of this one - spooky!
05-15-81 Rutgers Athletic Center
Perfected the "new" intro. Sweet gem of a version.
08-10-82 University of Iowa
This one is well-known, but too good to leave off this list.
06-21-83 Merriweather Post Pavilion
Rock solid version capping off a Terrapin-Estimated-Eyes trio.
03-29-84 Marin County
Ahh Spring '84 blossoming - take a whiff.
11-22-85 Henry J. Kaiser
Great energy. Kermit really feelin it.
05-10-86 Frost Ampitheatre
Can't leave this off the list either. A Swami institution.
08-15-87 Telluride
Just feels like summer. "Take a ride to Tell-u-ride."
04-14-88 Rosemont Horizon
Beautiful 8 minutes of music. Yes...ONLY 8 minutes..lol.
08-04-89 Cal Expo
Capping off the Jerry trio of Fingers-Cumberland-Eyes. Whooo!

I hope somebody finds something new from this list that they enjoy.

nickj
Moderator on the moon

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

By "serious consideration," I mean versions that are worth actively seeking out and listening to repeatedly, in the process uncovering new layers of musical merit as time goes on. Which, I admit, is not something I feel about a number of 80's Eyes of the Worlds, but to each his own. I knew you'd be good for a list, though, and I can't say I can recall much about half of the versions you mentioned, so I'm looking forward to digging in to something new. Thank you!

swamiGD80s
Taper

PostPosted: Tue Jan 29, 2013 11:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

nickj wrote:
By "serious consideration," I mean versions that are worth actively seeking out and listening to repeatedly, in the process uncovering new layers of musical merit as time goes on. Which, I admit, is not something I feel about a number of 80's Eyes of the Worlds, but to each his own. I knew you'd be good for a list, though, and I can't say I can recall much about half of the versions you mentioned, so I'm looking forward to digging in to something new. Thank you!

Very interesting description of the phrase in question - thanks for the clarification. I will say that in the last couple of years I have moved away from isolating performances of single songs or combinations of songs in favor of the full show experience. These days I rarely to never listen to "highlights," or a song here and there. When I put on the GD I put on a full show - from the beginning - for the duration. I have found this to be a much more fulfilling experience, and doing this really puts a lot of individual song performances in a different context. Where I used to be able to tell you how good I think a single song performance from a show is, I now would tend to ask what came before it and what came after it. This is probably a topic for another thread...don't mean to hijack. Back to the Eyes!

Zephyr
Mirror Ashes Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jan 30, 2013 9:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A few of my favorites from the Brentski era are:
7/14/81 Denver
9/12/81 Greek Theater
3/29/90 Branford
6/23/90 Eugene, OR

Post new topic   Reply to topic     Forum Index -> Songs To Fill The Air All times are GMT - 6 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: